What is web design?
Web design refers to the design of a website and the components that are displayed on its pages. Essentially, web design constitutes the user experience and user interface designs. Web designers are tasked with planning, brainstorming, and arranging content for web pages on your business’s website.
In the past, web design only applied to sites and technologies that were accessed through desktop devices and laptops. Now, web design also applies to the web sites hosted by mobile devices. The demand for web design has grown because great web design has a huge impact on SEO and user experience.
How long does it take to build a website?
From conceptualizing to its launch, it typically takes a web designer and developer a minimum of 14 weeks to complete a site.
A web design time breakdown typically looks like:
- 3 weeks of discovery
- 6 weeks of design
- 3 weeks of early development
- 2 weeks of modifications
Depending on the budget, scale, complexity, and features your business requires, building a website can take even longer than 14 weeks. Teams should also develop on-page content simultaneously while creating the website to save time and have sufficient resources prior to its launch.
How much does web design cost?
Generally, the cost of designing and launching a website costs $12,000 to $150,000, depending on the website’s scope. There are 3 main cost ranges when it comes to web design projects, low, medium, and high, each of which depends on your business’s approach.
- Low-cost web design applies to do-it-yourself designs such as simple templates and schemes used by amateur and new designers.
- Medium-cost web design usually involves working with freelance designers. Most startups and small businesses tap freelancers to cut costs while still achieving their ideal design.
- High-cost web design is the work of professional web design companies and web developers. Major enterprises and established businesses usually have this budget range, which is necessary to hire high-cost web designers for their business’s website needs.
Overall, the cost of web design depends largely on the specifications of the website being designed.
How to choose a web design agency?
Choosing the right web design company for yout project is key to a successful partnership. By carefully vetting your potential partners, you’ll be able to ensure the quality of your new website. Here are 4 steps to narrow down your search:
- Outline your project scope.
- Use ratings and reviews sites to shortlist web design agencies.
- Review their portfolio and client reviews.
- Hold an interview with their team and ask for a quote.
What questions should I ask a web design agency?
Web design encompasses multiple disciplines, so making sure that your web design company is experienced and knowledgeable is a must. Here are some we suggest asking before hiring a website design company:
- How much research about our business do you need to do before designing a website?
- What content management systems are you familiar with?
- What is your design process?
- What are the typical costs associated with designing a website?
- How many project managers and designers will be working on the project?
- Who is the central contact person, and how will they communicate with our team?
- Do you solely work with an in-house team, or do you outsource some talent?
- Have you performed projects from businesses in similar industries?
- What specialties and services do you offer aside from web design?
- How many revisions and edits are included in your services?
By asking these questions, you will be in a better position to hire the right web design agency.