What do graphic designers do?
Graphic designers create visuals using computer software or by drawing them by hand. Because of their ability to create professional designs, many businesses hire graphic designers to create marketing collateral such as magazine and newspaper ads, infographics, brochures, signs, menus, social media posts, logos, and much more.
What is graphic design?
Graphic design is the process of creating visual content to communicate messages through a variety of mediums. It’s a discipline that applies a combination of layout, typography, text, and visuals to deliver your company’s intended message as accurately and efficiently as possible.
The goal of graphic design is to logically display all relevant elements in a way that optimizes the user’s experience and conveys your business’s message. Examples of graphic design range from singular logos to multi-page websites.
What are the types of graphic design?
The most common types of graphic design include visual design, web design, publication design, packaging design, motion design, and environmental design.
- Visual design: This type of graphic design focuses on creating logos, color palettes, and image libraries for clients.
- Web design: This type of graphic design focuses on creating user-friendly websites that can be marketed to consumers and effectively communicate information about your company.
- Publication: This type of graphic design focuses on creating materials to be printed in books, magazines, and catalogs.
- Packaging: Packaging design is the process of creating concepts and mockups for packaging or other similar containers in which your business sells products.
- Motion: This type of graphic design is the process of creating animations for applications, banners, subtitles, and animated texts.
- Environment: Environmental graphic design combines knowledge in architecture, interior design, and landscape design to create materials to be displayed in offices, public transportation, or retail stores.
Each type of graphic design can help businesses meet their goals.
Why hire a graphic designer?
Graphic designers provide companies many benefits and are worth hiring for 4 main reasons:
- Experience and expertise: Graphic designers have years of training and experience working with various industries. They provide insight into what works best for their clients.
- Saving time: Graphic designers eliminate the need to engage in trial and error since they already have experience and a plan of action.
- Saving money: Graphic designers can help save companies money because their work is typically done promptly and well.
- Offering a new perspective: Graphic designers can use their experience and fresh eyes to provide clients with a new way to look at their business and designs.
Whatever the project, graphic design companies are likely to provide businesses with substantial benefits.
How do you hire a graphic designer?
When hiring a graphic designer, businesses should consider the three P’s (personality, professionalism, and portfolio); inquire about the graphic design company’s design process, and clearly define your timeline and budget.
- Consider the three P’s (personality, professionalism, portfolio): You will be working closely with the graphic designer for extended periods of time. Ensure that the skills and work ethic she brings to the table complements your own.
- Inquire about their process: How does the graphic designer organize her workflow? Will your business have a clear line of communication to the graphic design agency? Learning about the designers' process helps you decide if it will mesh with your own team’s.
- Clearly define the timeline and cost: Graphic designers should have enough experience to determine the length and cost of a project. Ask them: How long does this kind of project usually take? What is the anticipated cost?
By carefully and thoughtfully hiring a graphic designer, your business can have stronger branding materials.